The Choir and the Organ of the Church of Santa Ana (Rioja)
This work was carried out at the time that the third phase was carried out, which consisted in the construction of the last third or parish of the Parish. The auction for the construction of the choir was awarded to the master builderD. Pedro Aguirre de Corella, according to deed granted by D. Miguel de Oñate and whose original budget was of real 3.000. It was done in thelast quarter of the seventeenth century.It is worth noting - besides the organ - the magnificentwalnut stalls dating from the 1756 year in Renaissance style with embossed flora ornaments. Cost 2.663 real. The? The last important work that was done in the Choir was the placement of two magnificent stained glass windows. The balustrade that was removed from the pulpits was placed in the antecoro. A great closet was placed in the entrance of the choir and a very strong terrazzo was placed on the floor of the choir. Since then a beautiful Crucifix has been venerated. All these works were done in1962-64. In 1925-30 the choirs of men and women disappeared in the parish and since then D. Ernesto, then parish priest of the Parish began a very worthy work to educate the children who were the substitutes and they sang the Masses, Vespers and other songs liturgical Gregorian chants and chants in Latin were heard in Holy Week, the Tedeum and the Miserere etc. In the 90 yearsreturned the adult singers forming the group ofAuroros "Campanilleros".
This magnificent instrument was installed in the Parish in the year 1709. It was built by D. Joseph Mañeru of La Villa de Lerín in Navarra and its approximate cost was about real 9.500. Artistically responds to the period of transition with ornamental profusion of grotesques? and very well-designed figures of naked angels. He was brought to Cervera in 16 caballerias mayores. It replaced another organ that had been placed at the end of s. XVI. After sixty years it is decided to brown the box of the same
. It has undergone many reforms and not all successful throughout these centuries. However, in the year in 1933, the parish priest of Santa Ana D. Ernesto Armentia, before the little sound that had been perceived for a long time, ordered the organizers Amescua and Cía Azcoitia to restore it, which was rather a renovation. All the advances of those times were introduced to him, like movement by automatic air, electric motor instead of being operated by hand the bellows, withdrew the horizontal trompetería, they placed two new registers of Prawn and blue Voice and changed the console. The work cost 18.676 pesetas.
In 1954 the parish priest D. Domingo Lázaro orders the organizer D. Ignacio Eguiguren de Azpeitia a thorough repair of the organ and the description he gave of it after the correct repair was the following:
"It is from a single manual keyboard of 51 notes and bottom bracket of 15 notes.It has keyboard transpositor lutado with and nine registers, flaut de ado with tubes of 16 feet, violin of 8 feet, prawn of 8 feet, celestial of 8 feet, octave of 4, 2 fortnight, 8 trumpet, 4 boot and XS (bottom bracket registration) 16.
The pipe is almost entirely from when it was installed, except the Gamba and the Celeste Voice that were then placed in the last reform, as well as the bellows, the engine and the console or desk. The entire pipe is 396 pipes and has no external trumpeter.
The silent electric fan motor of the Mendiger-Bale House (Switzerland) is applied to the bellows whose construction is of the Coumins system with inward and outward folds. The organ is mechanically operated except for the actuation of the registers that is done by means of some platelets of the modern pneumatic system. The whole instrument is expressive and has three pedal hooks, one of the bass of the pedal to the keyboard, another pair to activate the tremolo and the third to remove all the games of the organ at the same time. It also has the expression lever or pedal. " The whole instrument is included in a monumental piece of furniture that contributes to the decoration and embellishment of the parish church. Artistically responds to the period of transition with gratesque ornamental profusion and very well designed figures of naked angels.
In the year 1992, the parish priest of Santa Ana, in view of the deficiencies that the organ presented again, contacted the brothers Alejandro and Agustín Usubiaga Astiazarán de Hernani (Guipuzcoa) who made a perfect and painstaking repair and cleaning of the organ, getting it ready that existed of origin, introducing some improvement and also recovering the sound the sound that is definitely the one that is perceived.
The organists of this instrument have been several: D. Domingo Guzmán Gómez from 1887 to 1937, was at the same time sacristan and entered by opposition, later volunteered Dª Mª Pilar and Dñª Castora Pérez Coloma during 57 years covered the vacancy. Finally Donato Orte, a great professional, also entered in a disinterested way.