The Retables of the Church of Santa Ana
Currently 10 altarpieces are counted: the High Altarpiece, The Virgin of Carmen, The Heart of Jesus, The Holy Christ of Consuelo, The Immaculate Conception, San Isidro Labrador, San Antón Abad, The Divine Aurora, The altarpiece of the Virgen de los Dolores and that of The Virgin of Pilar.
*From the granting of the economic independence of the parish by the Bishopric in 1582, it is agreed by decree in 1594 to make the image of the patron, then the construction of the altars, the tower, the completion of the temple and the altarpieces. It is necessary to differentiate altars from altarpieces, the first ones were made with masonry and placed in the holes destined for them. Later, at the request of the Visitors or the sumptuousness of the temple, they were replaced by altarpieces that were later gilded to beautify the temple.
The first Altar was the Major, then in 1596, in the Parochial Visit carried out by the Bishop of Calahorra Ilustrísimo Mr. Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga (Riojano and confessor of Santa Teresa de Jesús). The collateral altars to the left and right were dedicated to the Child Jesus and to John the Baptist, subsisting until 1828. In 1606, according to the 1º Book of the folio 162 (back), the constructions of several altars were arranged: The one of the baby Jesus, the one of the Holy Trinity, the one of Our Lady of the Dolores, of San Francisco and they came to be constructed, according to the written documents. From 1640 they began to work on the construction of the main altarpiece and a few years later on that of the pure Concepción, although they already had the statue.
The altarpieces, initially were dedicated, but not all, to different claims to those we venerate today. All belong to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries except for the altarpiece of the Virgen del Pilar that was built by an art house in Zaragoza in the 1964 year and which replaced the one of the same name from the 17th century, removed due to deterioration due to termites that devastated him. They incorporated to him two salomónicas columns of the altarpiece of the Immaculate one in detriment of this last one. At the beginning of the century, the devotees paid for the current, one replaced that of the Immaculate Conception of the s. XVII, this operation was carried out by the parish priest D. Juan Gabriel Villalba in the 1917 year. In the restoration of the temple in the years 1962-64, the parish priest D. Domingo, recovered the old one and ordered it to be restored and was placed in its original place. The other altarpiece was the one of San Antonio de Padua that was placed in front of the one of San Antón Abad and to the right of the Altarpiece of the Coronation that presides over the Divine Aurora. It was also removed with the restoration of the temple.
* Main data: Parish archives and stylistic reviews taken from the magazine ECOS PARROQUIALES directed by Agustín Pando and published in the Marian year of 1954, in the extraordinary issue that appeared in May on the occasion of the first centenary of the proclamation of the Dogma of the Immaculate.